Wikileaks Cables Visualisation
The Guardian recently published a great visualisation of the WikiLeaks US embassy cables release. After their interactive map of the most scandalous Wikileaks dispatches, here is a beautiful graphic they built based on the whole dataset broken down, which includes:
- Cables visualization by location
- Timeline showing the growth in dispatches
- Buble charts showing how the cables were classified
- Bar graph of the top tags for the cables
The graphic covers 251,287 secret US dispatches, from more than 250 US embassies and consulates around the world.
Here is a brief summary:
- 251,287 dispatches in all
- The embassies which sent most cables were: Ankara, Baghdad, Amman, Kuwait and Tokyo
- 97,070 of the documents were classified as ‘Confidential’
- 28,760 of them were given the tag ‘PTER’ (prevention of terrorism)
- The earliest of the cables was sent in 1966. But most of them (56,813) were sent from 2009.